So you are a delighted owner of a pair of strong, durable hunting boots. But what good is that if you cannot flaunt your sturdy shoes just because they are excessively dirty? And no, cleaning them is not a piece of cake. So before planning to clean your hunting boots, here is all that you need to know to get the cleanest pair of boots.
Items needed to clean your hunting boots
The following are the things that you will need to clean your hunting boots.
- Nylon bristles brush
- Mild soap
- Soft cloth/rags
- Leather treatment
Method to clean full grained leather hunting boots
- First of all, dry brush your boots using a nylon brush. Then use some warm and clear water, and with the same brush, gently wash all the dirt from the boot.
- Make a mixture of water and mild soap. Use a duster to wipe off the dirt and dust from the leather.
- Dry the hunting boots at room temperature. Never put them directly in front of a heat source. It can dry and crack the leather. Let them dry on their own.
- Now, if you want to apply special leather treatment, this is the time to do so. You can apply leather waterproof also at this time.
Cleaning the split grain leather boots or the silicon-treated leather boots
- Rub off all the dust and dirt from the boots with a nylon brush. One thing that you need to note is that in these boots, we do not use any water, else the leather will go bad.
- Then treat the boots to silicone water repellent.
Now, for treating the all leather boots, you have the option of using a chemical process or a natural oil paste. The procedure is quite different for both of them. However, both of them will produce water-repellent qualities. But the appearance of the boots will be drastically opposite to each other.
Cleaning using natural oil paste
These are meant to return natural oils to the leather. When you open the cream box, you will find that they are quite hard in texture. To soften it, you need a hair dryer. Apply a little heat on the leather as well for a uniform application.
Now, it is recommended that you apply these creams with bare hands. The benefit is that your hands generate heat which in turn opens up the pores of the leather and also softens the cream so that there is a better coverage.
Apply the cream uniformly on the entire leather and then leave it to dry at room temperature. Use a hair dryer again if you want to speed up the process. Also, you can go for double coats for the best protection.
You will find that in the end, the leather darkens. The reason is that the oils are returned to the leather. When you wear them, they lose their natural oils and hence their color. This ensures that the leather is rejuvenated.
Cleaning the boots using chemical processes
When you have hunting boots that are made of fabrics as well, you will have to have a different approach in some of the processes. For example, you have to use chemical treatments in this case for the whole boot. This is the only way in which you will be able to ensure overall protection and maximum lifespan.
So keep your boots clean. They are bound to get dirty. But if you really want them to last long and look new forever, follow all these steps, and you won’t have to think about getting a new set in many years.